RE: [avr-gcc-list] Linker options to report RAM overflow

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Linker options to report RAM overflow
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 15:22:32 -0600

Take a look at the first diagram on this page in the avr-libc user manual:
http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/malloc.html

The stack grows downwards, and there is no way to set in the toolchain a bottom
value to that stack. Also, if you use dynamic memory allocation (malloc) the
heap grows upward, again without a preset boundary. This means that there is
not a way that the toolchain will know that there is a stack overflow, or data
overflow, because that is only discovered at run-time.