[avr-gcc-list] Re: zero length array in nocommon

From: David Brown
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: zero length array in nocommon
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 23:01:32 +0200

Weddington, Eric wrote:

-----Original Message----- From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden
org] On Behalf Of Ruud Vlaming Sent: Thursday, September 24,
2009 3:45 AM To: address@hidden Subject: Re:
[avr-gcc-list] Re: zero length array in nocommon

My question was, why is there a difference in behaviour, and i
 hoped somebody could shine some light on this. But maybe it is
like J"org says, just a bug.
You're probably the first to discover such a difference. At least
on the AVR toolchain anyway.
A brief test shows that the same difference exists when compiling
with gcc for the ColdFire (I don't remember the gcc version off-hand). It is therefore not an avr-gcc specific feature.

Then I would hazard a guess and say that it's probably NOT a bug. I
know that the Coldfire port is very well maintained these days, and
if it were a bug, then it probably would've been fixed already.

My ColdFire gcc is from CodeSourcery - it is not the latest version, but it is from the right people.

It might not count strictly as a bug, since I don't think there is any clear definition of how much space a stand-alone zero length array should take. Since there is nothing you can actually /do/ with such arrays, they are not going to be used much - it is quite easy to believe that no one has noticed this behaviour in any version of gcc for any target.