Re: [avr-gcc-list] including default eeprom values in flash memory

From: Dusan Ferbas
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] including default eeprom values in flash memory
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 23:15:39 +0200

Hi,

I am using for many years a system, I published as open source (LGPL like) at http://www.ethernut.de/en/documents/phat.html. Look for 'SPIFlashFileSystem' link to a zip file. This is a complete project, but there is a subdirectory eeparams, which can be extracted from it.

Common problem is, that your variables in EEPROM changes between firmware revisions. Idea is to assign a unique ID to each data structure and to place a table with these IDs, offsets and lengths at the beginning of EEPROM area. Default table occupies space in flash. However this is not suitable for uPs with limited code, I found it usefull, because the code supports also fw downgrade, while preserving variables existing in both revisions and placing default values for new ones.