Re: [avr-gcc-list] Volatile bad compiled while

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Volatile bad compiled while
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 22:06:02 +0100 (MET)

max2009tiny <address@hidden> wrote:

> I understand that gcc miss, but if register is clause to change
> storing possition of var and volatile is for "change defining on the
> fly" i dont understand trouble for gcc compile this ok.

I don't pretend to understand enough of the internals of GCC.  As I
understood it from a previous discussion, the unability to handle
both, fixed register assignments and volatileness together is tied
deep into the GCC code, and nothing that could easily be changed.  So
in short, "volatile" can only be honoured for locations in memory, as
it effectively demands to load/store the data from/to memory
immediately before/after use.  This is impossible for a register
variable (obviously).

So whatever you are arguing, you have to find a different solution for
your code.