Re: [avr-gcc-list] Why are we using EICALL and EIJMP for AVR256?

From: Sean D'Epagnier
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Why are we using EICALL and EIJMP for AVR256?
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 22:00:31 -0800

I am not sure that everyone wants avr to have multiple address spaces
handled by the compiler.  The reason, is that now pointers are 3 or 4
bytes not 2 which makes for larger code size and slower execution.
The current way forces code to look ugly, but gives the programmer
more control  and more speed.  I like to write programs which generate
the c code gcc compiles (this is another way to get around the problem
and does not sacrifice execution speed or size)

I might take a looks at how the multiple address spaces is
implemented.  My guess is that simple operations that used to read a
byte from say ram, now they will  require a function call which
branches based on certain bits in the pointer for flash, eeprom, ram
etc..  Of course optimizations for memcpy or string functions could be
optimized to only need 1 branch, not for every byte.

Also, all of the library functions for program memory (_P) functions
would go away, and support for %S could be deleted.

Sean