[avr-gcc-list] General compiler question with AVR-GCC and programmer not

From: James O'Day
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] General compiler question with AVR-GCC and programmer notepad
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:24:18 -0400

Hi !

I have a general question using Programmers Notepad and compiling with AVR-GCC. It has been working well for me since your initial guidance when I had a compiling problem a year ago. I have seen on several forums that the programmers notepad can also be configured to just us GCC and not AVR-GCC. I have attempted this with no success.  I have only changed the small makefile to use gcc as the compiler and not avr-gcc. My question is does programmers notepad and the current WINAVR support such an option to only use gcc? Also note if I change the two lines that have "gcc" command to " avr-gcc" .the "make all "compile works and creates a file call add4.exe which is bogus. I can do this same file and make file under Cygwin and it will create the correct add4.exe file using the GCC command.

System is WinXp SP3 running WINAVR20080610 successfully, Programmers notepad 2.07 succesfully . GCC 3.4.4 successfully. Have used this environment to create many AVR .hex files no problem. Just trying to utilize Programmers Notepad to write standard C non AVR code.

I apologize if this is not the correct forum for this question but you were able to help point me in the correct direction last time. This is most likely a yes or no answer anyway. I just could not find a specific part of either user manual that said one way or the other if this was supported or not. Still new to makefiles and changing between AVR-gcc setup and over to GCC. I also apologize for my lack of knowledge on this tool. Alot of material to absorb still.

thanks you for your time

Jim at Walchem. Corporation.

Error using Make all command built in Programmers notepad

"make.exe" all
gcc add4.c -o add4.exe
make: gcc: command not found
make: *** [add4] error 127.

Process exit code 2.
time taken : 00:00

Makefile is

# ‘all’ and ‘clean’ targets must be defined!

# ‘make’ or ‘make all’ will build dependencies in the order they are given

# Define programs and commands.
#SHELL = sh
CC = gcc
OBJCOPY = avr-objcopy