Re: [avr-gcc-list] Xmega class confusion?

From: Erik Walthinsen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Xmega class confusion?
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 09:08:23 -0700

On 06/03/2010 12:44 AM, Weddington, Eric wrote:
I'm going to proceed on my end as if my reading is correct,
and try to reassign all the chips.

Please stop. You are very probably incorrect. Please give us more time to
respond.

I proceeded because I must patch in the support for the chip I have soldered to the product development board I have on my desk, which I must get compiling again so I can do my job. None of the tools list the 192a3 on the board, so I have to update the patch in order to proceed.

If my reading is deemed to be wrong, I'll adjust my patch before submitting. Doing so is trivial because it's just a reassignment of the complete selection of chips I have to add, which is roughly 2/3rds of the whole series. *That's* the hard part.

Just as another point of reference for the [pending] discussion, avr-libc list the 32d4 as an avrxmega2, while the 32a4 is an avrxmega3. That implies there's something other than flash/ram size determining which separates chips into one or the other.

Once this is determined one way or another, I'll submit the resulting code patch, as well as a patch to the using_tools section of the avr-libc documentation to explain what the avrxmegaX classes are in detail. The patches will also be submitted directly to Ubuntu (and Debian), since they haven't updated their patches one way or another since at least 9.04.