RE: [avr-gcc-list] Xmega class confusion?

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Xmega class confusion?
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 19:03:20 -0600

Ok, I'll take a second look.

> 2) all the class boundaries are very clearly delineated as
> far as which
> boundaries are *in* the window, and which are *outside*.
> avrxmega5 is
> listed as > 64KB and <= 128KB (and >64KB RAM), yet the only chip ever
> put in that range is the 64a1.  That's inconsistent, as 64KB
> is not > 64KB.
>
> !!!!! *brainstorm* I think I might have realized where the
> confusion is,
> and how it can be rectified in comments and documentation:
>
> The > <= window for flash *includes* the bootloader space.
> That means
> the 64a4 is actually 64KB + 4KB, so it falls within the ">
> 64KB" rule.
> If that's the reason, then the comments and docs should indicate that
> "flash size includes bootloader", and that will clear up any
> confusion.

IIRC, that is correct. Anatoly Sokolov originally made this organization.

>   I can draft a patch to that effect.

We just have to modify those comments in the patch.

> > And yes this patch will be in the next toolchain release, of course.
> Do you mean the mainline binutils/gcc release, or WinAVR et al?

Both, sort of. It will be in a toolchain distribution release, but not
specifically WinAVR because WinAVR has been discontinued. This patch will also
eventually make it to the upstream projects. I'm hoping sometime over the
summer.