[avr-gcc-list] AVR-newbie need help!

From: Roger Holmquist
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] AVR-newbie need help!
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 21:32:14 +0200

Got my first AVRprocessors by snailmail last friday, still struggling to make avrdude make butterfly talk over ATmega169 / UART-port.
I haven't figured out how it is accessed thru Avrdude.
I assume communication should be performed via the Bootloader?
The USB-serial link is working (can fill the NAME-space)but not under avrdude.
I tried this:          ---> G4-MiniMac:/usr/local/bin rh$ avrdude -p ATmega169 -c butterfly -P /dev/tty.usbserial -t -v <---
from the terminal vindow without success so I started to analyze the RS-232 coommunication with a Serial Tool.
There is some lowlevel protocol found in an ATMEL pdf-file, AVR109 and I assume that or part of it is running in the bootloader?
I might be wrong...
ATMELs documentation is either not found or not detiled enough and I haven't invested in their hardware except Butterfly and some porcessors....
So some advice would be very appreciated!
/Roger