RE: [avr-gcc-list] Specification of AVR ELF format?

From: Wim Lewis
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Specification of AVR ELF format?
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:29:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, Weddington, Eric wrote:
I don't think that there is any documentation on the ELF format, other than what is in the source code (and patches). Certainly any documentation in this area would be welcome.

What kind of tool are you planning on writing?

I want to add ELF support to avrdude --- right now it's necessary to split the program being loaded into multiple hex files and pass them as separate arguments to avrdude, which is more trouble than it really needs to be. The fraction of ELF that avrdude would need to understand in order to use the linker's output file directly is pretty small; it seems like it'd be a straightforward weekend project.

I'll see if I can write up a description of avr-gcc and binutils' specialization of the ELF format and post it here for comment.