Re: [avr-gcc-list] Relocation types in AVR GAS

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Relocation types in AVR GAS
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 20:42:07 +0100 (MET)

"Boyapati, Anitha" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am trying to understand relocation types in AVR. To start with,
> can someone illustrate how R_AVR_16 works in the following case?

I can only guess.  Don't know whether there's someone with more
insight.

> As I see it, since the address is 16-bit, 'size' is 1. How do we arrive
> at 'rightshift' and 'bitsize' entries?

No idea what rightshift is doing, you might get an idea by comparing
against other relocation types.

bitsize should be clear: it's a 16-bit relocation.  My guess is that
bitsize might be different for other relocations even with the same
'size' field; compare that e.g. to the relative branch and jump
relocations (R_AVR_7_PCREL and R_AVR_13_PCREL).

> And how assembler knows to emit
> R_AVR_16 type?

Probably from the instruction it is connected with.  Obviously,
R_AVR_16 only applies to instructions like STS/LDS etc.