[avr-gcc-list] Problems with avrtest simulator and avr-gcc testsuite.

From: Georg-Johann Lay
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Problems with avrtest simulator and avr-gcc testsuite.
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 15:37:54 +0200

With the avrtest simulator, I observe the following problem with the
-m option (max instruction count):

>avrtest var-expand2.exe -mmcu=avr51 -m 1019948

 exit status: TIMEOUT
      reason: instruction count limit reached
     program: var-expand2.exe
exit address: 000318
total cycles: 1483103

>avrtest var-expand2.exe -mmcu=avr51 -m 1019949

 [...avrtest hangs...]

So there is a barrier: for all -m values >= 1019949 avrtest hangs, for
-m <= 1019948 avrtest stops as desired.

I am using avrtest as of
  http://winavr.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/winavr/avrtest/

All this blocks my work on avr-gcc, because I use avrtest as simulator
to run regression tests. FYI, I attached the avr-elf32 executable
var-expand2.exe (as tar, because mailing list rejects .exe).

Is there a place that hosts updated versions of avrtest or is there a
site with more stable simulator that can run avr regression tests?

Thanks for any hints on that.

At current, I use the setup described in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/avr-gcc-list/2009-09/msg00016.html

Besides that, I observed that my test results differ completely from
the results posted by Mike Stein in
  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults

Unfortunately, his exact setup is not displayed, i.e. what simulator
(version) he uses and how he start the testsuite and what .exp he uses.

Johann