Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-objcopy not copying custom section...

From: Boyapati, Anitha
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-objcopy not copying custom section...
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 01:03:56 +0800

>> Yes. That is where the confusion stemmed from.
>
>Hi Anitha,
>
>Last time, I didn't look exhaustively for flags in the ELF format. With
>the aid of "readelf -e test.elf", we can see that there are more section
>flags in the section header:

>Key to Flags:
>  W (write), A (alloc), X (execute), M (merge), S (strings)
>  I (info), L (link order), G (group), x (unknown)
>  O (extra OS processing required) o (OS specific), p (processor specific)
>
>I overlooked that before. In the sh_flags member of the Shdr struct, the
>ELF format does have separate explicit alloc and execute flags.

I did not :-)

Initially I referred to the age old System V ABI spec for reference which still
had R, W and X flags. However the ELF dump showed more (as you have mentioned
below).

>> 'objdump' program works on BFD structures. The set of BFD section
>> flags for a super set to ELF section flags. So, the dump of section
>> headers shows BFD flags but not ELF flags.

What made me mention the BFD flags is w.r.t 'CONTENTS' and 'LOAD'. These do not
appear in ELF spec as section attributes. So I think objdump is just dumping
ELF+ extra BFD attributes.

Anitha