Re: [avr-gcc-list] Trunk broken for AVR Target?

From: Boyapati, Anitha
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Trunk broken for AVR Target?
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 00:48:28 +0800

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to build recent snapshot gcc-4.7-20110604 without any
>patches.
>> Build fails for libgcc2.c. Unless I am doing something wrong, I think the
>> trunk is broken. Can someone confirm this?

>> checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: in
>> `/home/anitha/gcc-4.7-20110604/objdir/avr/libgcc':
>> configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile
>> See `config.log' for more details.
>> make[1]: *** [configure-target-libgcc] Error 1

>That is an error in your setup; nothing to do with the trunk. I've ran into
>that error multiple times, and for the life of me it escapes me right now
>what you have to do to get it fixed..... You might want to do some googling
>on that error.

No, AFAIK this has got nothing to do with my set-up. I follow the standard
build steps reported in avr-libc non-gnu site. Unless I am doing something
silly this time, (which I have double checked), set-up should not be an issue.

Build can fail because of several reasons. For almost all such reasons, same
error message is thrown. In this particular case, the error is due to libgcc.c
build which fails to build because of gcc assertion (posted below)

>> Further probing shows that dwarf-2 information generation is affected.

>> configure:3056: /home/anitha/gcc-4.7-20110604/objdir/./gcc/xgcc -
>> B/home/anitha/gcc-4.7-20110604/objdir/./gcc/ -B/usr/local/avr/bin/ -
>> B/usr/local/avr/lib/ -isystem /usr/local/avr/include -isystem
>> /usr/local/avr/sys-include    -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c  >&5
>> conftest.c: In function 'main':
>> conftest.c:16:1: internal compiler error: in
>> compute_frame_pointer_to_fb_displacement, at dwarf2out.c:18342

>> I have done some more analysis on the origin of this error, but before
>> that I think it is a good idea if someone can confirm that the build is
>> broken.
>
>There is already a bug reported in the GCC Bugzilla about DWARF2 not
>working for the AVR, specifically for 4.6.* and 4.7/trunk. Please double
>check that you're running into the same bug. No, this bug is not fixed yet.

I have followed the below conversation. But the error I get is different.
Moreover the bug is reported as fixed.

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/avr-gcc-list/2011-04/msg00002.html

The current build error which I have reported is most likely because of
http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs?diff_format=h&view=revision&revision=171295
http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs?diff_format=h&view=revision&revision=171296

(If I apply these patches individually to gcc-4.6.0 release sources, I get same
error). I am a little confused here because higher revisions (>171295) are
reported to have built fine.

Anitha