Re: [avr-gcc-list] strange c++ obiect initialization problems (full code

From: Marcin S
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] strange c++ obiect initialization problems (full code included)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 07:15:23 +0000

2011/6/12 Georg-Johann Lay <address@hidden>:
> Marcin S schrieb:

>>> That depends on the hardware you use. The problem will not occur on
>>> devices <= 64 kib flash. Look at the code again. In the startup
>>> code that runs before main you might see use of r20 around calls to
>>> you function. Note that these calls will be indirect, so searching
>>> for symbol will not help. Using r20 that way in startup can cause
>>> problems because is is callee-used register and the callee can
>>> clobber it, leaving its content in a mess in startup code.

>>> Johann
>>
>> Hi, It's atmega128, so r20 still is a main suspect.
>>
>>> Note that these calls will be indirect, so searching for symbol
>>> will not help.
>>
>> Umm, then I'm afraid I dont know how to check it.
>>
>> Btw. I tried to confirm this thinking by building 4.6.1 avr-gcc but i
>> think its buggy atm (dwarf2 bug) and i am unable to build any
>
> Yes, that's PR48459: DWARF is unusable in current 4.6 and 4.7, so using
> DWARF or configuring with --with-dwarf2 will abort.
>
> If you build the compiler on your own, you can simply copy
> ./gcc/config/avr/libgcc.S
> from 4.6 or 4.7 into your 4.5 sources. Or you can build 4.6 without dwarf
> and copy the generated libgcc.a's in respective places in your installed
> compiler (no matter if win32 or linux).
>
>> project with it. I'll wait till it will be usable and let You know.
>>
>> Marcin.

I've picked this way
> Or you can build 4.6 without dwarf
> and copy the generated libgcc.a's in respective places in your installed
> compiler

did that with my current 4.4 ... and its working! :-D at least on
early testing (but couldnt hold myself with sharing it now :P)
I also checked another project, bigger, with simmilar issues in wchich
i had to reinitialize almost all pointers at run-time to get it
working - now its okay witout it.

Thanks You very much for assistance.

Marcin.