Re: [avr-gcc-list] Compiling problem

From: Georg-Johann Lay
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Compiling problem
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 16:24:36 +0200

John Tucker schrieb:

I'm not even sure as to whether it's my compilation of
avr-gcc that's causing the error or if it's something in
the library. The error message I get while trying to compile
avr-libc-1.7.1 is:

./../../libc/stdlib/dtostre.c: In function 'dtostre':
../../../libc/stdlib/dtostre.c:63:2: internal compiler error:
in build_unary_op, at c-typeck.c:3786
Please submit a full bug report,

This is

http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?32988
http://gcc.gnu.org/PR44643

The problem is that avr-libc puts some data in PROGMEM without qualifying them as const. avr-gcc tryes to fix that, but that leads to inconsistency in other part of GCC and to the ICE ran into.

Easiest fix is to use current development version from avr-libc repository which has this bug fixed. The fix consists in making respective variables const, see the reported source location in dtostre.c. Moreover, you will need to change PSTR definition as lined out in PR32988.

Note that PR44643 is fixed in current gcc, however, also note that there will still be an error: just an "ordinary" error complaining about on-const data being put into const section instead of an ICE.

Johann