Re: [avr-gcc-list] Confusing static method RAM usage.

From: Georg-Johann Lay
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Confusing static method RAM usage.
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 14:22:36 +0100

Marcin S schrieb:
I never said this code does not compile.

It's text in square brackets. It describes the snipped-out text rather then quoting all that lines.

using avr-gcc-4.5.3
build opts are:
avr-gcc -c -mmcu=atmega128 -x c++ -gdwarf-2 -DF_CPU=3686400UL  -Os
-funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fpack-struct -fshort-enums
-fno-exceptions -Wall -Wundef -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections
-Wa,-adhlns=OBJ/PanelPellet.lst -I. -IhrdDefs -ImyClasses  -MMD -MP
-MF .dep/PanelPellet.o.d PanelPellet.cpp -o OBJ/PanelPellet.o

I prepared some related code snippets that should give You general
idea how its organized.
http://pastebin.com/96dWVww8
Yet, this example code compiling just fine and avr-size report 0 bytes
RAM used, just as it should.

yup, the code is compiled to

main:
.L2:
        rjmp .L2
        .size   main, .-main
.global panelObj
        .section        .bss.panelObj,"aw",@nobits
        .type   panelObj, @object
        .size   panelObj, 1
panelObj:
        .skip 1,0

So your memory leak is somewhere else, i.e. triggered by code you snipped out.

Compile the code with -save-temps and read s-file carefully and you see where the memory is needed.