[avr-gcc-list] Avrdude confusion

From: John Tucker
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Avrdude confusion
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 12:37:05 -0500

I'm relatively new to micro programming. Friend of mine is more
experienced
and we're trying to determine differences we're experiencing with
some loops on his Mega8 vs my 328P and, yes, we've been through the
-O options to avr-gcc. :)

In chasing down some items I used Avrdude to check fuses. However the
results
seem not to be plausible. Following is my command line and thereafter
the result of that command. Where am I making my mistake in usage?

avrdude -v -v -c arduino -P /dev/ttyACM0 -p m328p -F -U lfuse:r:-:h

avrdude: Version 5.10, compiled on May 24 2011 at 21:10:31
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

         System wide configuration file is
"/usr/local/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/home/knoppix/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular
file, skipping

         Using Port                    : /dev/ttyACM0
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         AVR Part                      : ATMEGA328P
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

                                  Block Poll               Page

Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages
MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------
----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65     5     4    0 no       1024    4      0
3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256
4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0
4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0
4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0
4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0
4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0
0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0
0     0 0x00 0x00

         Programmer Type : Arduino
         Description     : Arduino
         Hardware Version: 3
         Firmware Version: 3.3
         Vtarget         : 0.3 V
         Varef           : 0.3 V
         Oscillator      : 28.800 kHz
         SCK period      : 3.3 us

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100%
0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f
avrdude: safemode: lfuse reads as 0
avrdude: safemode: hfuse reads as 0
avrdude: safemode: efuse reads as 0
avrdude: reading lfuse memory:

Reading | ################################################## | 100%
0.00s

avrdude: writing output file "<stdout>"
0x0

avrdude: safemode: lfuse reads as 0