Re: [avr-gcc-list] Link Time Optimization vs __builtin_unreachable() and

From: Georg-Johann Lay
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Link Time Optimization vs __builtin_unreachable() and .signature?
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 20:20:51 +0200

Bob Paddock schrieb:
Can you be more specific what you mean with "after"?

Alas it is not as simple as the __builtin_unreachable when I look at
the .map and .sym files, as I thought yesterday.

A working build has this:
Size after:
   text    data     bss
  66435     775    3954

Build with LTO enabled has this:
Size after:
   text    data     bss
  14527      88    2151

LTO diff between with_lto.map and no_lto.map shows 71 sections have
been removed:

[...]

Tables of strings and tables of function pointers have also been removed.

If main(), and many other used functions, are being removed little
wonder the program doesn't work with LTO.

By no means main should be optimized away, so there is evidence that
something fundamental is breaking.

Is main decorated with attributes?

I no longer understand what LTO was meant to do (I'm sure throwing
away vast amounts of needed code and tables was not its purpose), so
I'll give up on it for now.

If you have any interest in looking at this code, let me know and I'll
put it on a web site for you to download.

Yes, if the project is ready to be easily rebuilt (no missing headers/directories, etc)