[avr-gcc-list] Question about GDB and debugging

From: Pink Boy
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Question about GDB and debugging
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:32:19 -0800 (PST)

I have a question about the status of avr-gdb

For the last couple of years I've been using codelite (http://codelite.org/) for developing my AVR code.  And then debugging with AVR Studio 4.  This works well enough. Recently though we bought a JtagIce3 from Atmel.  And I've been exploring AVR Studio 6, based on Microsoft Visual Studio.  I'm not really happy with it.  I was wondering if avr-gdb is usuable for debugging, with the thought of trying to get it to work with codelite.  I can get the version of gcc that comes with AVS6 to work no problem.  However there is not avr-gdb compiled for that tool chain.

For me pro is codelite is open source, and cross platform.  Stable and lighter weight than visual studio or say eclipse.  Downside ism not sure if it can be made to work.  And little experience with gdb.

Thoughts? Is this worth pursuing?