Re: [avr-gcc-list] [Patch, avr] Shrink interrupt vector table down to la

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] [Patch, avr] Shrink interrupt vector table down to last used entry
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 11:16:33 +0100 (MET)

Ruud Vlaming <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think this is a nice feature, and i see no harm. At some projects
> i also put code in the vector table to save space.

Well, personally, I think it's a micro optimization that is only
needed in some rare cases, when one really cares for the last 50 bytes
of flash.  (What's going to happen if the next bugfix release requires
20 more bytes then?)

Given the amount of hackery required to binutils to implement the
option, those few cases would probably be better served by the
developer hacking some specific startup code, rather than using the
avr-libc standard version plus the proposed option.  It's for
developers only who really know what they are doing, and the specific
startup code would also allow to fill unused holes in the vector
table, rather than only chopping off the end.

I wouldn't veto against it though, as I think the matter is simply not
important enough at all.