Re: [avr-gcc-list] Building avr-gcc - problems with directories

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Building avr-gcc - problems with directories
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 09:33:25 +0200 (MET DST)

Volker Kuhlmann <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am trying to package up an AVR tool chain again, but am unable to get
> avr-gcc to run its own assembler instead of the host one.

You have to include $PREFIX/bin into your PATH.

> ../gcc-4.8.1/configure \
>       -v \
>       --prefix=/usr/avr \
>       --exec-prefix=/usr/avr \
>       --bindir=/usr/avr/bin \
>       --libdir=/usr/avr/lib64 \
>       --libexecdir=/usr/avr/lib64 \
>       --mandir=/usr/avr/share/man \
>       --infodir=/usr/avr/share/info \

Just keep it as --prefix=/usr/avr, and let it decide about the rest
by itself.

> So prefix is /usr/avr. I figure /usr will never work for a cross
> compiler because it clashes with the host's compiler's lib and include.

/usr does work.  All those things that are really different for the
cross compilation environment are installed unter a different name.
The only clashes I know of are related to documentation files and
perhaps internationalization (message catalogs).

Of course, your binutils should have been configured and installed using
the same prefix as your AVR-GCC.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/