Re: [avr-libc-dev] dox status and next release

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] dox status and next release
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:29:38 -0600

On 11 Oct 2002 at 15:17, Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think we're in the home stretch now on the documentation. We've made
> considerable progress (mostly due to Joerg ;-) and have a pretty
> decent document now.
>
> Here's what I see that still needs to be done (from doc/TODO):
>
>  - Doxument the following:
>    * introduction
>    * building and installing tools for win32
>    * how to pre-program the EEPROM.
>    * merge chapter 3 (startup code discussion) from Rich Neswold's
>    doc.
>      Needs some rewriting to update for newer tools.
>    * interfaces in:
>      + include/math.h
>      + include/avr/crc16.h  ???
>      + include/avr/delay.h  ???
>      + include/avr/ina90.h  ???
>      + include/avr/timer.h  ???
>      + include/avr/twi.h (move to examples?)
>      + include/avr/wdt.h (move to examples?)
>      + include/avr/parity.h (move to examples?)
>    * gcrt1.S ???
>    * the mechanism behind include/avr/io*.h ???
>
> The last two are of questionable value. The only big one is the win32
> which I think soneone sent me something about (have to check my email
> rats-nest at home).
>
> If we can knock off the rest of these, I think we'll be ready for a
> new release. It looks like gcc-3.3 is set to branch on Oct 15
> <http://gcc.gnu.org/develop.html#stage3> (Marek, how realistic is
> that?). Once the 3.3 branch is created, I think we can make a release
> with the caveat that the users need to use a gcc-3.3 snapshot (which
> should be readily available).
>
> I've also been thinking about the versioning of avr-libc. I'd really
> like to change away from using the date for the version. It makes it
> difficult to have multiple branches. Thus, I'd like to move to
> something like this.
>
> Make the next release 1.0.0, and cut a 1.0.0 branch. Then all 1.0.x
> changes are strictly bug fixes and possibly new devices, but no
> changing of interfaces nor deleting/moving of files.
>
> Once that branch is cut, the head becomes 1.1.<date>-cvs. Where date
> is bumped regularly as it is now. Developers can do whatever surgery
> is needed on the head. Once we're ready for another release, it would
> be branch 1.2.0. If changes are drastic enough, bump it to 2.0.0.
>
> If our branches some what coincide with gcc branches, then we can say
> use avr-libc-1.0.x with gcc-3.3.x, avr-libc-1.2.x with gcc-3.4.x, etc.
> This would also allow for more drastic changes in binutils/gcc since
> we can track them more easily without disturbing the users.
>
> A down side I see is for package maintainers. E.g. how does rpm
> know that 1.0.0 is newer than 20021015? If this is a huge problem, we
> could just rename the distributiion to navr-libc (n for new). But I'm
> not too keen on that. How does debian/freebsd handle stuff like this?
>
> Another downside is (a slight) increase in work for the maintainers.
>
> The major win is for the users. If they start working on a project
> [...]

Sounds great. I'd rather not have a name change (as you suggested),
it would make things terribly confusing. I like the versioning
system. It's more consistent with gcc and binutils. It would really
help users to have a stable set of versions of products that could be
pointed to, especially in writing production code where it's
important to build a product with a labeled, stable toolset.

Eric