Re: [avr-libc-dev] vfprintf warnings

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] vfprintf warnings
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:24:10 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, E. Weddington wrote:

:) > I'd rather not see this used. In most cases, you should get a warning.
:) > What we have here are special cases which have been given proper
:) > scrutiny and are justified. We need something like a lint comment in
:) > the code to disable the warning, not globally turning off the warning.
:) > In any event, there should be a comment in the code stating that it
:) > may generate a warning, but it can safely be ignored and why.
:) > Otherwise, someone in the future will see the warning and "fix" (like
:) > I almost did on friday).
:) >
:)
:) I was thinking on just using the flag for the module, not project-
:) wide. Yeah it would be great to have something in the code to bookend
:) it and turn off the warning.

I think my thoughts still apply to the module. There could be valid
warnings else where in the code which the developer would miss if the
warnings are suppressed for the entire file. If the code generating the
warning is documented (with a comment) as to why it can be ignored, that's
acceptable for now. Warnings are a good thing since they make you think
about why your code is generating the warning.

Ted Roth