[avr-libc-dev] Just FYI

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Just FYI
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:41:48 +0100

For testing, i compiled the entire toolchain on Solaris 2.8.  All
works pretty well.  The generated code is identical (except that i
forgot to apply the patch that reverses the instruction order for
16-bit word writes), avr-libc compiles and installs without problems.
(I didn't have doxygen there, so no doc build tested.)

I had to compile and install via NFS which makes both, binutils and
gcc fall over since they attempt to write into the source tree during
the "make install" phase which is impossible ("install" needs to be
done as root, but root doesn't have write access to the source tree
which comes via NFS).  Only a "gmake -i install" eventually installs
everything that is needed.

Fortunately, avr-libc doesn't experience this behaviour.  The only
problem arising here is that it says:

gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/net/wunsch/cross/avr-libc-2002.10.02/build'
Could not lock file `.make.state'; symlink(.make.state, .make.state.lock)
failed - Bad file number-- NO LOCKING for read

Looks like a gmake problem, but since it happens after everything else
is done, it's unimportant.

So i think our cross-tools are really independent of the source
system.