Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: sample makefile

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: sample makefile
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:48:57 -0700

On 26 Feb 2003 at 20:21, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> > I would be converting all example source files, .c, .h, makefile.
> > Anything that can, would, and should be edited by a user.
>
> I'm not sure about the normal include files.  Users might want to have
> a look at them, and once Atmel is going to ELF (and stabs or DWARF),
> AVRstudio might see them as well.

> However, i think AVRstudio 4.x is
> smarter about plain \n LEs.  (COFF debug information stands no chance
> to transport names of include files, so if one of your include file
> causes code to be generated, like in an inlined function, you're at a
> loss.)

Sure but users may still want to use 3.x at least for the next few
months.

> Maybe that's all going to be a moot point if Win CVS handles that
> transparently.  Otherwise, there's currently no infrastructure yet in
> the Makefiles that handles installation of the examples upon "make
> install", so the command that installs the examples can certainly be
> made differently for installing on Windows.  That way, you could use a
> utility that changes LEs on the fly for this purpose.  (Creating this
> infrastructure IMHO should become an entry of our TODO list.)

Right now I don't use WinCVS, I use the cvs that comes with cygwin
which is a port of the *nix one (CLI).

Also, I currently don't build avr-libc from a cvs co, I use the
snapshots that Ted builds up. And I will probably do so again for the
March release of WinAVR, just because it is a known system. After the
March release I will look into making sure I can build from cvs.

Eric