Re: [avr-libc-dev] (Fwd) elf/dwarf support in WinAVR

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] (Fwd) elf/dwarf support in WinAVR
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:25:10 +0200

As E. Weddington wrote:

> > IMHO, AVR-GDB currently only understands stabs.

> What would it take to teach AVR-GDB DWARF?

That question rather goes to Ted.  To the best of my knowledge, he's
considering that move, too, but that implies to me it might still be
some way to go.

As Torleif Sandnes wrote:

> And after a brief investigation of the debug information, I found that
> the .debug_frame section was missing, and that the bitfield information
> was somewhat odd.
>
> Are these known issues?
> Is any work being done to fix this?

By now, we only benefit from the generic DWARF2 work that has been
done in GCC, i. e. as far as I know, nobody has ever done anything
specific for the AVR for this to happen.  So what you're seeing is
basically a by-product of the IA32 (aka. i386) world moving away from
stabs to DWARF2 as their default debugging format, which is obviously
the driving force behind all this.  (That's the good thing about GCC:
there are so many things that are completely architecture-independant,
so all the supported archs automatically benefit from work done on
some mainstream arch.)

It's probably best if you asked that on the GCC developers mailing
list, I guess (or maybe the embedded GCC list -- I think Eric is
subscribed there; I'm not).