Re: [avr-libc-dev] making malloc() and free() reentrant safe

From: Dmitry K.
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] making malloc() and free() reentrant safe
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 08:36:36 +1100

On Sunday 03 July 2005 19:57, Russell Shaw wrote:
> Atleast stack allocation is much faster and more
> efficient than heap allocation. It is just idealogical unsound to use
> the heap then throw it away in a short period of time;)

Not obvious.  Large amount of automatic variables (include 40-bytes
buffer for floats) produces very boatable code. The reason is 63-bytes
limit of index in 'ldd/std' operation.

And I shall add, that another version of 'printf' (bug #11820 -->
patch #3851) does not use 'malloc'.  Buffer for float is very small
and also stack usage decreases considerable.

Dmitry.