Re: [avr-libc-dev] thins that need to be done?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] thins that need to be done?
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 23:58:06 +0200

As Mark v/d W. wrote:

> I've been wondering for some time now, how can I contribute to
> avr-gcc (and everything used with it), and what skills I need to be
> useful. Are there any jobs that need to be done? I hear a lot about
> floating point routines that need to be rewritten. Is there any way
> I could help out there?

Dmitry has already answered the question about floating point support.

There's also the question of how to support 64-bit double floating
point numbers.  If you're interested, perhaps you can collaborate with
Dmitry on this.  Basically, C99 requires double to be 64 bits long,
but currently we do not comply with this.  Changing this would first
require some library support for the missing pieces, and then changes
to the compiler to offer 64 bit double at least as an option (e. g.
similar to the already existing -mint8 option).

Also, we're still looking for someone who might want to take over C++
maintenance.  This in particular requires to get GCC's libsupc++
compilable (and feeding the required changes back to GCC -- this
requires you need to do the FSF paperwork on their copyright), plus
setting up some tests to ensure things actually work the way they
ought to, as well as continually maintaining that part as needed.  So
obviously, despite of the time required to handle that, you should
have enough of C++ knowledge to know what is needed for all of this.