Re: [avr-libc-dev] Is it possible to write into CVS?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Is it possible to write into CVS?
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:39:07 +0100

As Dmitry K. wrote:

> Whether it is possible to get access? I would like to
> include a new variant of libm. It corrects all libm's
> bugs (exclude #14855) and accelerates.

Privet, i S Novym Godom!

You are most welcome to join us, and take over maitenance for all
floating-point related stuff.  All you need to do is creating youfself
an account on savannah.nongnu.org.  Go to the "My Groups" page, and
select "Request for Inclusion" from there.

As I understand it, you are going to reimplement a lot of the current
libm.  Thus, your work should by now concentrate on the head of CVS
first, until we can reasonably sure everything is OK.  At that point,
I think the changes (we ar no longer bug-compatible to our historic
versions then) mandate that we release avr-libc-1.6 out of that.

As far as I can tell, some of the fixes needed require that we move
parts of our libm implementation into libgcc instead.  We are not
supposed to provide implementations for libgcc functions (like
__subsf3 etc. pp.) as part of the target libc -- see bug #3485 for
possible consequences.  As such, it would be good if you applied to
the FSF for a copyright assignment, so the respective code (which then
must be exclusively your code, or code by someone else who signed such
an assignment) can tehn be contributed to GCC.  As you are speaking
the same native language as Densi Chertykov, perhaps you are able to
get a short communication path to him, so you can get him to
eventually commit such kind of new libgcc routines to the GCC tree.
As long as they only affect the AVR part of libgcc, it is my
understanding that Denis has the authority to get them into the GCC
tree.

(If you don't know how to apply for the FSF copyright assignment, I
can explain you in private mail.  I think Anatoly also can, and he's
got the advantage of speaking the same language as you, again.)

Another wishlist item would be a 64-bit floating point library... :-)