Re: [avr-libc-dev] I thought I understood malloc

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] I thought I understood malloc
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:46:40 +0200

As Dave Hylands wrote:

> So it's the contents of __malloc_heap_end not the address of
> __malloc_heap_end that points to __heap_end.

Right.  As I wrote in the followup to the bug report, I agree the
picture is a bit misleading here, though the remainder of the
documentation explains that.  I'm open for ideas how to improve the
picture.  Somehow, __malloc_heap_start and __malloc_heap_end would
belong into the blue .data area to the left, but the space there
doesn't even remotely suffice to fit these long names into it.

> Unfortunately, memory tramples are nasty bugs to find.

Remember that the JTAG ICE can set data breakpoints which can even be
applied to an entire memory region.  Alas, the region needs to be
describable as a base address plus mask, i.e. it cannot have an
arbitrary start address and length.