Re: [avr-libc-dev] Linux -> avr-libc - License issue?

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Linux -> avr-libc - License issue?
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 18:02:09 +0100

Stu Bell wrote:
Hi all,

I have started looking at porting the relatively simple byteorder
routines from Linux to avr-libc as requested in AVRFreaks.  The question
I have is that all Linux code is covered by the GPLv2, while (I believe)
avr-libc is covered by the LGPL.

avr-libc uses a BSD license - embedded libraries using the LGPL cannot easily be used with non-GPL (or LGPL) code.

Would importing the code (in any form) into avr-libc violate GPLv2 by
putting the code (modified though it will be) under the somewhat more
restrictive LGPL?

The GPL is in most ways more restrictive than the LGPL. You can't relicense GPL'ed code as LGPL - but you *can* relicense LGPL code as GPL. Neither can be relicenses as BSD for use in avrlibc.

Or am I being pedantic?

No, it's not being pedantic - it's about respecting the copyrights and wishes of other programmers. There is no way to move code from GPL'ed code into BSD-licensed code - you'll have to either re-write the code, or ask the copyright holder's permission. If the copyright holder okays the port, then there is no problem.

mvh.,

David