RE: [avr-libc-dev] 1.6.2 release?

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] 1.6.2 release?
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 21:48:17 -0600

Hi Dmitry,

Actually, this toolchain is already being used internally in Atmel.

> It is interesting:
>   - sizeof(void *) ?

Pointer sizes have not changed. 16-bits.

>   - where use/save/reload RAMPX/Y/Z/D,EIND (and plus?)

True. I don't think that all of these issues have been addressed yet.

>   - how to use (void *)0 ?

Could you explain? How would it be any different than it is now?

>   - predefined macroses

Could you explain?

> The begin of Avr-libc TODO list:
>
> * Remove indirect access to common registers.

True, that needs to be done. But IIRC, they're not really being used
right now anyway, so there is no harm right now.

> * Upgrade the SFR_OFFSET/SFR_IO_ADDR/SFR_MEM_ADDR
> to obtain source code compatibility.

Agreed. This could be done in the next week.

> * EEPROM

This is one reason why I needed to have the EEPROM implementation
redone. I agree that we need more in this area, especially with the
ability to memory map the EEPROM area. However, the EEPROM can be
accessed in the classic method like the megaAVRs. So I think it is OK
for now, but yes this needs more work.

I understand that you want all the issues to be worked out. I really
appreciate this. :-) However, I have to follow the philosophy of
"release early, release often". This toolchain is being used right now.
I know that the support for the xmega devices is not perfect. It needs
to be improved over time.

I *will* be releasing this xmega support in the April 2 release of
WinAVR, whether avr-libc is released or not. I would prefer to have a
released version, rather than a checkout from cvs. But if a release is
not available, then I will include a cvs checkout.

Eric Weddington