RE: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] Put avr-libc functions in unique section

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] Put avr-libc functions in unique section
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 07:46:54 -0600

.text.libgcc can be left the way it is. .text should be renamed to .text.libgcc

> The example below illustrates the renaming after
> installing the standart avr toolset "as is".
>
> Regards,
> Dmitry.
>
> # Original set of libs.
> LIBS="$GCCDIR/avr/lib/lib*.a \
>       $GCCDIR/lib/gcc/avr/4.1.2/lib*.a"
>
> for oldlib in $LIBS ; do
>   newlib=`basename $oldlib`
>   rm -f $newlib
>   case $newlib in
>     libg*)   renames=".text=.text.libgcc.gcc" ;;
>     libm.a)  renames=".text.fplib=.text.avr-libc.fplib \
>                       .text=.text.avr-libc" ;;
>     *)       renames=".text.ctype=.text.avr-libc.ctype \
>                       .text.fplib=.text.avr-libc.fplib \
>                       .text=.text.avr-libc" ;;

I don't see a real need to have the separate *.ctype section, do you?. We
should just have .text.avr-libc and .text.avr-libc.fplib.

This is a good snippet, but where would you integrate this? This is for both
gcc (libgcc), and for avr-libc. These projects need to build with these default
sections. I'd rather not have a post-build script that would have to be
documented somewhere, because people building other distributions will want
this too.