Re: [avr-libc-dev] Missing time.h posix

From: Daniele Basile
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Missing time.h posix
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:23:40 +0200

Bob Paddock ha scritto:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Daniele Basile <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> we need to use some functions of posix standard time library. We want to use
>> some time functions that convert unix time to a tm structure, or vice versa,
>> (ie, mktime, gmtime..), but the avr libc doesn't include them.
>
> What is your goal by using these time functions?

Our scope is simple, for example I have this nmea sentence:

$GPRMC,143811.000,A,4351.0794,N,01108.8684,E,0.00,,021009,,,A*77\r\n

where "143811.000" is time stamp in format hhmmss.sss and "021009" date stamp in format ddmmyy, now I want to manage these time stamp..
to do this I can fill a tm structure then using mktime and obtain unix time.
With unix time I could print it, or use it for other computation.

This example explain our scope, that is to use only conversion functions, not to provide fully posix time library, because is more difficult to create a generic implementation for all time functions.

Generally we think that posix time avrlibc implementation could provide only conversion functions, that could have sense on avr target, for all other type applications everyone should implement theirs time functions.