Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #28837] using PSTR with c++ produces warnings

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #28837] using PSTR with c++ produces warnings
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 00:24:37 +0200

As Volker Kuhlmann wrote:

> > Just because someone at Arduino thinks ``4.4.x and 4.5.x seem to have
> > various problems'' is enough to make you not using them?
>
> Yes, definitely. Why?
>
> I have no other information and know nothing about the avr-gcc specific
> issues in gcc.

The least you could expect them is to explicitly mention *which*
problems they have found, either (and preferrably) as references to
GCC bug reports, or at least, as detailed descriptions about the
problems someone encountered.

Without that, it's just babbling.  FUD.  (Fear, uncertainty, and
doubt.)  I could tell you as well about GCC 4.3.x having ``several
problems'', and by digging through the GCC bug database, I could
probably even found this sentences with some substance. ;-)

> Sounds like time would be better spent on compiling 4.6.2 and
> testing that first.

Good idea as well.  Johann did a lot of work on the AVR part of GCC
recently, and he also backported all of the more important bug fixes
to GCC 4.6.x.

But: use GCC 4.6.3 rather than 4.6.2, so you benefit from the C++
progmem string bugfix.