Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #34695] fixed width int types without __attribut

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #34695] fixed width int types without __attribute__()
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 21:50:08 +0100

As David Brown wrote:

> The reason I questioned the signed char case was from a quotation
> from the standards in a stackoverflow question, which suggests that
> it only applies to plain char and unsigned char.  I don't have a
> copy of the standards on-hand to check.  It may also be that it
> applies only to C++, not C.

I don't know about the C++ standard, but the C standard explicitly
states:

7 An object shall have its stored value accessed only by an lvalue
  expression that has one of the following types:74)
  -- a character type.

74) The intent of this list is to specify those circumstances in which
an object may or may not be aliased.