[avr-libc-dev] including avr/boot.h for xmega devices

From: Omar Choudary
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] including avr/boot.h for xmega devices
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 17:29:45 +0100

Hello,

I am trying to adapt LUFA for a project using the atxmega256a3u.

I took the last svn version and added the VirtualSerialX provided by
Dean in a post:
http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=117994&highlight=lufa

This code includes avr/boot.h at some point. However, avr-libc (I'm
using 1.7.1) is complaining about the SMP instruction:

/usr/local/avr/lib/gcc/avr/4.5.1/../../../../avr/include/avr/boot.h:115:4:
error: #error AVR processor does not provide bootloader support!
/usr/local/avr/lib/gcc/avr/4.5.1/../../../../avr/include/avr/boot.h:125:4:
error: #error Cannot find SPM Enable bit definition!

I've checked the forum and it seems this problem was reported:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?29187

there is also a post about how to build your bootloader:
http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=79592&postdays=0&postorder=asc

but... I don't want a bootloader. I just want LUFA to work. Therefore
I was looking for the quickest way to do this.

On the avr-libc release for 1.6 I found this among the "bux fixed"
http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/svn/avr-libc/branches/avr-libc-1_6-branch/avr-libc/NEWS
"[#25925] <avr/boot.h> cannot be included on Xmega devices"

Although it doesn't really seem to be fixed (also the bug report
mentioned above seems to be open).

I would be grateful if someone could let me know what is the current
status on using avr/boot.h with xmega devices.
If someone has been working more with LUFA on XMEGA that would be good
to know as well.

Thanks,
 Omar