Re: [avr-libc-dev] Need new avr-libc release

From: Georg-Johann Lay
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Need new avr-libc release
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 15:08:16 +0100

Sivanupandi, Pitchumani schrieb:
-----Original Message-----
From: Georg-Johann Lay [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: 25 January 2016 21:56
To: Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden>; address@hidden;
Sivanupandi, Pitchumani <address@hidden>; Selvaraj,
Senthil_Kumar <address@hidden>

Joerg Wunsch schrieb:
As Sivanupandi, Pitchumani wrote:

Can you make a new release?
I can give it a try, to see whether "make distcheck" works out of the
box.
As a quick fix, it could be pointed out on AVR-LibC's front page that
1.8.1 won't work with GCC v5.2+ and at least SVN trunk xyzw is needed with
GCC v5.2+.

FYI, GCC v5.0 and v5.1 won't work and should not be used.

Current trunk should work with GCC v5.x or later. It auto detects the gcc
version and builds accordingly.

> Ref: https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?44869

The point is that v5.1 itself is broken, namely the new specs stuff.

v5.2+ uses a different directory layout to fix the problems, and avr-libc adjusted to the new layout. But the problem with v5.1 was inherently due to the old directory layout, and whatever avr-libc does cannot work around these problems of v5.1 (even worse for v5.0).

I was quite surprised back then when I saw that effort was put into avr-libc just to make it work together with a compiler that was known to be broken...

http://svn.savannah.nongnu.org/viewvc?view=rev&root=avr-libc&revision=2475

Regards,
Pitchumani