[avr-libc-dev] [Docs] on compiler / linker flags

From: flo . kerle
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] [Docs] on compiler / linker flags
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 19:57:12 +0000

Hello,

TLDR: I forgot to set this flag for the linker also. (No note at the first
paragraph, and no note under "selected linker options")
 IMHO there *should* be a mention in the first paragraph, that this flag is OFC
needed for the linker also. At least it should be the first flag for "selected
linker options"
Background, to make a mock of myself:
Recently I've adapted mv CMakeLists.txt from ARM to AVR targets. As blind as I
was, I did read the docs on "C compiler flags", and encountered `-mmcu=`.
Mentioned for the compiler, not the linker. Added the flag, did not turn some
grey cells on to ask "what does the linker do, and what does it need for that
you idiot?"

Very weired issues popped up. Only Emil on the #avrs IRC channel shed light
onto my blindness, and I got that linker doing what it was supposed to.
To save others that hassle, I'd like to make the docs more foolproof.
Best regards,
Florian