RE: [avrdude-dev] Build under Cygwin & Auto Tools versions

From: Alex Shepherd
Subject: RE: [avrdude-dev] Build under Cygwin & Auto Tools versions
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 23:42:24 +1300

Hi Ted,

> Have a look at the bootstrap script. I'm using automake 1.7.9 though.
>
> Attached is a wrapper script for bootstrap which I use to
> make sure the right versions are found on my system since I
> have many versions of the tools installed.

Ok now I have a working cygwin system again, however I still have
problems with the bootstrap

It seems the test for autoconf 2.57 is not working correctly as I think
I have it installed. Or it is finding the older 2.13 stable version
somehow.

There seems to be a autoconf wrapper that allows either the stable or
devel version to be used based on environment variables but after
reading the docs there might be an issue with this.

Is anyone with a working cygwin system using the auto[conf/make] wrapper
or did you just install the 2.5x version?

Cheers

Alex

Here is the output after I do a:
env

autoconf --version

automake --version

setup.sh

Here is my output:
===========
address@hidden ~
$ env
!::=::\
!C:=C:\cygwin\bin
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
APPDATA=C:\Documents and Settings\alexs\Application Data
COMMONPROGRAMFILES=C:\Program Files\Common Files
COMPUTERNAME=AJS-NOTEBOOK
COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
CVS_RSH=/bin/ssh
HOME=/home/alexs
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\alexs
HOSTNAME=ajs-notebook
INFOPATH=/usr/local/info:/usr/info:/usr/share/info:/usr/autotool/devel/i
nfo:/usr
/autotool/stable/info:
LOGONSERVER=\\AJS-NOTEBOOK
MAKE_MODE=unix
MANPATH=/usr/local/man:/usr/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/autotool/devel/man::
/usr/ssl
/man
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
OLDPWD=/usr/bin
OS=Windows_NT
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/sys
tem32:/c
ygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/Co
mmon Files/Adaptec
Shared/System:/cygdrive/c/ssh1:/cygdrive/c/WinAVR/bin:/cygdri
ve/c/WinAVR/utils/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Common Files/Ulead
Systems/MPEG:
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/doxygen/bin
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 9 Stepping 5, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0905
PROGRAMFILES=C:\Program Files
PROMPT=$P$G
PS1=\[\033]0;\w\007
address@hidden \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]
$
PWD=/home/alexs
SESSIONNAME=Console
SHLVL=1
SYSTEMDRIVE=C:
SYSTEMROOT=C:\WINDOWS
TEMP=/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/alexs/LOCALS~1/Temp
TERM=cygwin
TMP=/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/alexs/LOCALS~1/Temp
USER=alexs
USERDOMAIN=AJS-NOTEBOOK
USERNAME=alexs
USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\alexs
WINDIR=C:\WINDOWS
_=/usr/bin/env

address@hidden ~
$ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.57
Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
NO
PURPOSE.
Autoconf version 2.13
This is autoconf-wrapper, which will hand off execution
to one of the two real versions listed above, depending
on the contents of configure.in/configure.ac.  Since the
wrapper was called from within a directory in which those
files are not found, this generic 'version' message is
displayed.

address@hidden ~
$ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.7.6
Written by Tom Tromey <address@hidden>.

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
NO
PURPOSE.
automake (GNU automake) 1.4-p5

Copyright (C) 1999, 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
NO
PURPOSE.

Written by Tom Tromey <address@hidden>
This is automake-wrapper, which will hand off execution
to one of the two real versions listed above, depending
on the contents of configure.in/configure.ac.  Since the
wrapper was called from within a directory in which those
files are not found, this generic 'version' message is
displayed.

address@hidden ~
$

address@hidden /cygdrive/e/MyDocuments/Projects/avrdude
$ ./setup.sh
+ AUTOHEADER=autoheader-2.57
+ AUTOCONF=autoconf-2.57
+ AUTOMAKE=automake-1.7
+ ACLOCAL=aclocal-1.7
+ export ACLOCAL AUTOHEADER AUTOCONF AUTOMAKE
+ rm -rf obj-avr
+ mkdir obj-avr
+ ./bootstrap
You need to use autoconf version 2.57.
autoconf-2.57: not found
You are using .
+ cd obj-avr
+ ../configure --prefix=/home/alexs/local/avrdude
./setup.sh: line 21: ../configure: No such file or directory
+ make distcheck
make: *** No rule to make target `distcheck'.  Stop.