Re: [avrdude-dev] Why is eeprom file overwritten?

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Why is eeprom file overwritten?
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:32:47 -0400

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 05:10:45PM +0200, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> I guess it would be worth the while to not burn the EEPROM file
> automatically anymore, but leave this decision to the user (e.g.  as a
> selectable option in Mfile).  Given that all the newer ATmegas do have
> an EESAVE fuse bit anyway, it's probably no longer useful to have this
> written into the device by default.
>
> What do people think?

I'd say make it optional.  Lots of folks use on-board EEPROM to save
variables or settings that cannot come from the source, i.e., they are
dependent on the particular running environment (servo trim settings,
user preferences, etc).  Automatically rewriting the EEPROM would
clear those out, even if the EESAVE bit has been set to preserve them,
which might be surprising (POLA).

-Brian
--
Brian Dean
BDMICRO - ATmega128 Based MAVRIC Controllers