RE: [avrdude-dev] FW: avrdude + avrstudio / stk500 / ATMEGA162 - program

From: Steve Bentley
Subject: RE: [avrdude-dev] FW: avrdude + avrstudio / stk500 / ATMEGA162 - programming problems
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:05:12 +0100

Galen, Thanks for the help.

I have had some success!!! I can now program the chip using High-Voltage
Programming mode ONLY. I wanted to reassure myself that I did not have
any board, power supply, chip problems.
I connected PORTD to PROG-CTRL and PORTB to PROG-DATA as described in
the stk documentation. Then using AVRStudio I could successfully read
the signature. I then programmed a simple (flashing light) program.
Switching off the power supply, disconnected the two cables, hooked up
the leds, switched back on and lo and behold I saw flashing lights.

This is at least a temporary solution. Inserting and removing the cables
will become tedious very quickly I fear. :)

Returning to the ISP issue. I believe Galen is correct with his
suggestion regarding sck but currently I only receive the following:

////
Avrdude -p atmega162 -c stk500 -t

avrdude: stk500_program_enable(): failed to enter programming mode
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.
////

Not being very familiar with avrdude, I was not sure when and how to set
sck. My idea was to set sck in the terminal mode, is this correct?

Obviously this is different to the behaviour that I had previously when
avrdude would complain at the verification stage. I'm not sure why this
is, I guess in my fiddling about I have forgotten to change something
back. So once again here are my settings on the stk board.

VTARGET = ON
AREF    = ON
RESET   = ON
XTAL1   = ON