[avrdude-dev] I rearranged the build process a bit

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avrdude-dev] I rearranged the build process a bit
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 21:57:40 +0100

After cleaning up the source code, I've now been able to rearrange the
build process so that the actual "meat" of avrdude is compiled into a
libavrdude.a library, where main.c is currently the only known
frontend program that is linked against that library.

The library is currently not being installed but only used internally.
However, it would now not be too hard to add additional frontend
programs that use the same backend functionality.  (Did anyone say
"GUI frontend" here? :-)

Ideally, the stuff would better be moved into subdirs, but I hesitate
to do this as CVS simply does not offer that feature, so we'd lose all
file history.  However, in case anyone here plans to start out a new
frontend, please start with a new subdir for it immediately.

As for the backend files, there's currently approximately one .h file
per .c file, introducing all data types required for that
implementation file, and declaring all exported functions and objects.
All functions and objects that do not need to be visible outside their
current compilation unit are declared "static".  There's still no
really consistent naming style for all the exported library functions
and objects, but this should at least reduce the name space pollution
a bit so other frontends are less at risk of colliding with internal
functions.