[avrdude-dev] [bug #22371] serbb in win32 and Posix

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #22371] serbb in win32 and Posix
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:15:40 +0000

Update of bug #22371 (project avrdude):

             Assigned to:                    None => joerg_wunsch

Follow-up Comment #1:

The message:

ioctl("TIOCMGET"): Bad address

indicates that the respective driver of your operating
system has a problem with this ioctl command.  Thus, it
is nothing AVRDUDE could fix.  Please contact your
operating system (or FTDI driver) vendor for a fix.

In general, bit-banging through an USB RS-232 interface is
nothing I'd personally recommend though except maybe to
bootstrap a more sophisticated programmer that way.  Each
bit change will require a full USB packet to be transmitted.
There are so many much better options to chose from for a
good USB-based programming adapter.

For a test, I connected my old "ponyser" adapter (which has
been used by its time to test AVRDUDE's serbb code) to a
PL2303 adapter under FreeBSD.  I don't get your errors (so
this driver apparently at least somehow implements the
respective ioctl), but the response to the programming
enable sequence is merely random junk rather than the
expected result.  No idea whether this is an issue with the
FreeBSD driver, or the PL2303 itself.  I don't have an
FTDI-based generic USB <-> RS-232 adapter around I could
test against here.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?22371>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/