Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude problem with Attiny13 - works fine in AVRstudi

From: Haberler Michael
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude problem with Attiny13 - works fine in AVRstudio
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 23:58:25 +0100

Am 04.01.2009 um 23:12 schrieb Joerg Wunsch:

As Haberler Michael wrote:

- second run should program target in ISP mode, but fails as the
signature is read back as 0x000000 .

Curious: can you proceed successfully when using the -F (force)
option?  This will make AVRDUDE ignore the signature mismatch.

I tried that already - it wont sucessfully program the chip.

The problem seems to be that the read fuse operation is done differently in avrdude than in AVR Studio programming tool. I'm still decoding the AVRStudio protocol USB trace to see what causes the difference.

I have the suspicion that it's part of the "Shenzen feature set" of my MKII clone handling embedded ISP commands in the MKII stream. It is buried obviously in the second avrdude trace of my original mail during command sequence 5-7 where the signature is read and all bytes come back as zeroes. The KEE folks respond to mail quickly and try to be helpful though, so I would give it a stab.

A plea for help:

Can somebody with a bona fide (original ATMEL) JTAGICE MKII programmer and a debugWire capable AVR chip at hand do the following:

- set the chip to debugWire enabled
- run avrdude twice trying to program it like
avrdude -pt13 -cjtag2isp -Pusb -v -v -v -v -v - Uflash:w:<somehexfile>.hex:a avrdude -pt13 -cjtag2isp -Pusb -v -v -v -v -v - Uflash:w:<somehexfile>.hex:a

and mail me the avrdude outputs?

that should help a lot in nailing the problem down. I dont think the nature of the hexfile actually matters. I would assume 'main(){}' compiled for your target at hand should do.

thanks in advance

-Michael