[avrdude-dev] Internal oscillator calibration

From: Shaun Jackman
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Internal oscillator calibration
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:56:58 -0700

I'm attempting to use the AVR JTAG ICE mkII to calibrate the internal
8 MHz oscillator of the AT90PWM316. I downloaded the source code that
runs on the target device from application note AVR0053 and compiled
it using the open source assembler avra. I flashed the target device
using avrdude and set its fuses to use the internal 8 MHz RC
oscillator (lfuse=0xa2). I then ran avrdude -O to start the
calibration, which is intended to store the result in EEPROM. However,
afterwards the EEPROM is still empty.

Has anyone successfully used the OSCCAL calibration routine specified
in AVR053 with avrdude?

The man page should mention that the target device requires special
firmware to be able to use the OSCCAL feature. The man page makes it
sound as though the programmer does it all automagically with no help
from the target.

Thanks,
Shaun