Re: [avrdude-dev] xmega - stk500v2 vs stk600

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] xmega - stk500v2 vs stk600
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 23:51:18 +0200

As Larry Colen wrote:

> Please excuse what may be a stupid question, but I've seen
> references to stk500v2 in the code. Is stk500v2 another name for
> stk600? Or was there an intermediate protocol between stk500 and
> stk600?

STK500 and STK600 are devices, the so-called starter kits.

The early STK500 used a different protocol than later versions, so the
early one has then been renamed stk500v1, and the recent one stk500v2.
These are protocols names.  The STK600 basically talks a variant of
the stk500v2 protocol, which is the main reason why all the STK600
handling is done in the file stk500v2.c.

Actually, the STK600 (as well as recent firmware versions of the
AVRISPmkII) extended the protocol by something they call XPROG, and
that's the protocol version used for Xmega devices (which physically
use PDI rather than ISP as the device connection), as well as "small
tiny" devices (ATmega4/5/9/10) which physically use TPI as the device
connection.

Still, all this is handled in the file stk500v2.c.

> Which, if either, protocol would apply to the xmega?

XPROG, which is implemented in STK600 and AVRISPmkII.

But, Xmegas can also be programmed via JTAG, using a JTAGICEmkII as
the physical connection.  This is a completely different protocol (but
there are cross-references between the JTAG ICE and stk500v2 protocol
used for ISP, as well as the STK600 and JTAG protocol).

The various protocols are documented (well, mostly, and often not very
up-to-date) by Atmel in appnotes AVR061, AVR067, AVR068, AVR069, and
AVR079.

If your question actually refers to the -c option of AVRDUDE: use
whatever you've actually got as your device.  If it's an STK600, use
-c stk600.