Re: [avrdude-dev] Fwd: avrdude.conf - ftdi-section

From: Jason Hecker
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Fwd: avrdude.conf - ftdi-section
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:57:54 +1100

I think you are doing it wrong.  Try and copy or use an existing FTDI
programmer definition in the config file and get AVRDUDE to access the
FTDI part with the USB VID:PID, not via /dev/ttyUSB as SPI is not a
serial/RS232 protocol.

In the example off my page:

$ ./avrdude -c um232h -p m1280 -v -b 3750000 -U
flash:w:ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega1280.hex

The "um232h" is the definition of the FTDI programmer in avrdude.conf
and it uses the special MPSSE mode on the FTDI parts to drive the SPI
port.  Part of this definition includes the pinout as well as what
code in AVRDUDE to use (avrdtfi), what the VID:PID of the FTDI part
is.  For a starters in your case try -b 1000000 to program at 1MHz.
With the FTDI parts in MPSSE mode you aren't using traditional serial
protocols.

Jason