Re: [avrdude-dev] Incorporating AVR109 compliant bootloader in AVRDUDE p

From: Enoch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Incorporating AVR109 compliant bootloader in AVRDUDE project
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 05:07:14 -0400

Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden> writes:

> As Enoch wrote:
>
>> Since AVRDUDE is de-facto the most popular open-source firmware
>> up/down-loader in the AVR8 land I think that it would be advantageous
>> for the AVRDUDE community to have a matching and well-tested
>> bootloader included in its code base.
>
> Well, I'm afraid this is simply beyond the purpose of the AVRDUDE
> project.

Strictly speaking, you are correct -- a bootloader is on the device
under test (DUT) side. Still, this facility, unlike any other, can be
donloaded in its entirety. It would take some time before we would be
able to 3D print a JTAG ICE tool ;-)

The current butterfly.c must be working with pretty lousy AVRBOOT
implementations. See for example how EEPROM bytes are programmed one
byte at a time. It's indicative of having no buffering in the
implementation...

By having an official AVRDUDE bootloader we can improve on both sides,
host and DUT.

> However, how about hosting such a project on the Atmel Spaces site?
> Eric?

What's wrong with GitHub...

>> P/S Written in avrasm2 which is available to all via Atmel's Studio.
>
> s/to all/to all Windows users/
>
> For non-Windows users, there's no officially supported avrasm2
> publically available.  I think the AVRA assembler is the closest
> match.

I run avrasm2 via wine. AVRA is buggy, ask any AmForth user to tell
<http://amforth.sourceforge.net/>.

Thanks, Enoch.